Amsterdam Police say a woman ingested Malathion at her home Monday. She brought the container with her to the emergency room at St. Mary’s Hospital but the fumes were overwhelming leading to the evacuation of the ER, authorities said.
Malathion is a pesticide used for controlling insects, mosquitoes and sometimes head lice. Police say she came in Monday around 2:00 p.m. and soon after, Amsterdam Police, Amsterdam Fire and members of GAVAC responded to a 911 call on McCleary Ave. for the then-unknown medical emergency.
While the victim was being treated in the emergency room, hospital staff instituted the appropriate protocols for dealing with the unknown toxic substance and requested the Montgomery County Hazardous Materials team to respond to the hospital, police said. HazMat personnel determined the substance to be Malathion – an agricultural pesticide used for controlling insects on crops, mosquitoes in large areas and is sometimes used in head lice products.
For now, Amsterdam Police will not be conducting a criminal investigation into the incident, and there are no charges pending. The identity of the victim is not being released.